The end of summer is approaching, so it’s time to start getting kids back into a routine before school starts. This can be a challenge, but with a bit of planning and effort, you can help your kids adjust to a new schedule and make the school transition smooth.
Here are some tips for getting kids back into a routine before school starts:
- Start gradually. Don’t try to change everything all at once. Start by gradually shifting bedtime earlier by 15-20 minutes each night.
- Be consistent. Once you’ve established a new routine, stick with it as much as possible. This will help your kids get used to the new schedule and make it easier to adjust when school starts.
- Make it fun. Try to make the new routine fun. For example, let your child help you choose a new bedtime routine or make a chart to track new habits.
- Be patient. It takes time for kids to adjust to a new routine. Keep going even if they get it right away. Just keep working with them; eventually, they’ll get the hang of it.
- Make sure your kids are getting enough sleep. Most experts recommend that school-aged kids get 9-12 hours of sleep per night.
- Talk to your kids about the changes that are coming. Explain to them why you’re making the changes and what they can expect.
- Help your kids get organized. Ensure they have everything they need for school, such as a backpack, lunchbox, and school supplies. (At Trinity, we provide all school supplies, but you’ll need to make sure their iPads are charged.)
- Create a positive association with school. Talk to your kids about all the fun things they’ll do at school, making new friends, and playing at recess.
With some planning and effort, you can help your kids get back into a routine before school starts. This will make the transition to school smooth and help your kids succeed in the classroom.
“6 Tips for Getting Your Kids Back Into a Morning Routine Before School Starts” https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/tips-for-back-to-school-morning-routine-37111096 7/27/22.
“7 Tips To Get Your Child Back Into The School Routine” https://blog.stageslearning.com/blog/7-tips-to-get-your-child-back-into-the-school-routine